Your home has always been your sanctuary—your personal space. However, when that “For Sale” sign goes out on the front lawn, you need to be prepared to bare all. Eager real estate agents will be waiting in line to stampede through your front door and strangers will comb through every nook and cranny during showings and open houses.
Prepare for your new home while living in your listed home with these helpful tips:
1. Start packing now. The secret to getting a house clutter-free is to remove the things you can live without while your home is on the market.
2. Store it, sell it, chuck it, or donate it. While you’re packing, work on decluttering and throwing away or donating the items you no longer need. It won’t just give you a head start on moving. Buyers appreciate the extra space when searching for homes.
Make the prep process a game for your kids.
3. Get squeaky clean. Lacking motivation to clean every cobweb on the ceiling or scrub the floor? A clean house can gain you up to $10,000 extra on your home sale. Aim for five-star hotel perfection when cleaning sinks, glass, mirrors, and light fixtures.
4. Maintain your privacy and safety. People tend to look through drawers, closets, and medicine cabinets at showings or open houses. Protect your valuables by locking them up or removing them from your house.
5. Involve your kids in the process. Make the prep process a game. Challenge your kids to a contest of who can clean up their room the fastest. You might be surprised at how cooperative the kids are and how much fun they have when you say that it’s showtime.
Moving is never easy, but hopefully these tips can make the process a bit easier. If you have any questions in the meantime, or any real estate needs that we can assist with, don’t hesitate to give us a call or send us an email today. We look forward to hearing from you soon.